Monday, August 29, 2016

Intro and First Three Days with Mali

Ok, so... first off... I apologize ahead of time for how awkward and non-story line some of these will end up being. I write out my notes throughout the day, and will only post at the end... so it will be all over the place. Lol.

But... here goes. I'll hopefully only be fostering Mali for a few weeks, and then someone will be open to adopting her.

But after her... I really think I'll continue to foster through other programs as well as one on one work within a shelter or rescue environment, and work through primarily behavior related issues that need to be resolved, as well as putting on some basic obedience training to allow the dogs become more adoptable.

It's not easy, it involves a lot of knowledge of behavior, and flexibility to be able to change your own behavior to fit the dog. Especially if the dog is unsure or unhappy.

So... this blog will be about the dogs I foster, as well as behavioral modification tips and tricks, both from my own observations and actions, but also through the words of others.

My goal is to eventually use this blog to help me log my hours and work for affiliate, then associate certified, and eventually a fully certified behaviorist through the IAABC. If I can manage to get my master's in Behavioral Science at some point as well, that would be awesome. But for now... I have to work with what I'm able to afford. I am looking forward to attending seminars and conferences for my continuing education.

So... here goes I guess!!

First up... meet Mali. I am fostering her through the organization Balkan Underdogs, which is a registered charity in the UK. So if you are in the UK or the USA or some other country and are interested in adopting her, please contact me or Balkan Underdogs and we can work something out. Or take a look at the other wonderful dogs they have.

But yeah, this is Mali. The picture I took prior to me fostering her. When she was still on the street.



She is a very typical "domestic" mutt (and I use that term lovingly mind you) that you would find on the streets here in Serbia. Unknown mix. Approximately 30-35 pounds (this is a guess, as of yet she has not been weighed).

She is still intact, but hoping we can set up a spay fairly soon for her.

Anyways, I picked her up Friday, August 26th, 2016.

And here below are my thoughts from the first three days about her. I'll be posting today's (August 29th) on a separate post. I know that this is super long and complicated and might not make too much sense... but I'm working on it. This is mostly to keep my thoughts and opinions from working with her all together.

So..... here goes:


August 26

Got her at approx 9:00 AM on Friday the 26th of August.

Never worn a collar or leash before. Shut down initially. No sign of aggression while shut down, just her being very still and quiet.

I'm working from scratch... Minus 1-2 years of fear from living on the street. Expected this, but nice to log where she has started. Sh
e does "recover" quicker than I originally expected though, which is a plus. And she is food motivated when she is not shut down like she is now.

I'm fostering her with the help of Balkan Underdogs (I think that's correct) for the next few months, though hopefully she can find a home before then, and I can work with another foster before I leave. We're starting training at the very bottom. She hasn't even worn a harness, collar, or leash before.
But... We'll get there. Just aiming for the basics.

She is already progressing MUCH faster than I was expecting her to. I was also expecting some sort of reactivity or something... but even when I was bathing her, and untangling her, she only froze in fear. No aggression over food either.

She already "sort of" understands the concept of giving to leash pressure on the harness (and at this point, I do recommend only using a harness and not a collar, though if she stays with me long enough, I will be conditioning her to a collar as well).

No actual training. She was just getting used to the place and everything new.

She IS sweet, she just doesn't quite know how to express it.

She is clearly a one person dog. She likes other people, but she attaches to just one. Right now, that is me. Wherever I go, she feels the need to keep an eye on me. Not indoors (I will work with her indoors since there are several shops/areas that are dog friendly, even though she will be living outdoors in a nice cozy area. (no other option at this time)), so whoever adopts her will need to take that step slowly and carefully.

She DOES know how to hold her bladder though. She was up on a terrace last night so she wouldn't chase cats at night, and she did not do anything on it. But as soon as I let her out, the first things she did was pee, and then go to a further away area to poop. No mess on the terrace.

She is quiet, even with the cats. She doesn't chase chickens (neighbor has free range chickens that come over onto our property). She watches them, but that's about it.

She is territorial to a small degree, just in that she did not like the cats or chickens encroaching on "her" area. The chickens she just gave a low growl and didn't move. The cats she did try to go after.

So...most likely, she will need to be in a home with no cats. I will work with her around them as much as possible while she's still with me, but for your sake and the sake of your cats, she might not be the best fit.

She loves to try and catch bugs, and is very silly in that way.

She is not a picky eater, but she doesn't stuff her face. She regulates on her own. Free-feeding would probably be an option for her since she doesn't wolf down food. 

She does have some fear of men who are wielding any kind of stick like object. Women who had them, she was fine. But as soon as my dad stood up with the same things, she did duck away and try to take off in the opposite direction. CC/DS will be occuring with that, but something to be aware of.

Currently, from day one and the morning of day two, she seems to be overall a very calm dog.

These are just my impressions up until now. I will follow with more as the days go on. :)

Video:


Video from later that day:



August 27

Just finished my first clicker session with Mali. Despite being off leash at this point AND with quite a few distractions, she did GREAT for her first session. She's still sitting and trying to do stuff. Which I do want to reward... but I'm trying to keep actual training sessions short. I do reward her, because I do want her to see me as the best thing ever.

She DOES have a "recall" of sorts. It involves a couple kissy noises and patting my leg at this point, to get her attention. Then I stand silently and motionless as she comes to me. She does not know her name (obviously) and won't respond to even the Serbian word for come. But I give a couple kissy noises and pat my leg two or three times (usually it's a quick three time thing... just habit with that for me), and she comes right to me, where I give her a large treat. When we're not in this setting, I'll start adding a word to the action. "Come" is the easiest and most universal (in the english-speaking world) word for it. :)

I'm SUPER excited with her progress thus far. Almost a *little* disappointed about the lack of challenge... but... is what it is. :p I'm super happy for HER though. She's SUPER adoptable temperament-wise. She may not be small and fluffy, or a purebred, but temperament-wise, she is GREAT.

Hoping I can get a few basic commands on her over the next few weeks, and evaluate her prospects for sport stuff (which I think she would be good at, I just need to find her strong motivation for it), and fingers crossed she'll find a really good home!

We then left (without her) to go have a day away in another town, she was blocked into the top terrace. Zero mess. Let her out in the evening, and she did her business and was good. Working on trying to catch her in the act and putting the “go potty, good girl” words to it, so that in the future, when people are walking her, they can encourage her to do so by saying “go potty”.

We also began clicker training session number two. Continued with just the focus, but added on hand targeting. It took her a bit, but now she somewhat understands how to target my hand.

Video of initial session:




August 28

Didn’t do too much today with her. She seemed tired, so she rested. She continued to follow me everywhere though.

We did do one session of clicker training where I began trying to capture “sit” and encourage a “down”. Very very beginning stages, I just want her to start to use her mind. Which she did. Two successful “down” by luring down with the hand signal of my hand flat against the ground, with a treat in it. Once she understands the concept, word will be phased in, and hand signal will be raised off of the ground.

Sit is currently half word and half hand signal of upward palm facing me. She already sits immediately when coming to you, so I’m trying to work on separating those things.

Also, accidentally used the clicker, and she ran up expecting food. I gave her a piece of the chicken I was eating. Lol.


She started to show signs of wanting to play and chew, so I tied a rag to some string and began a little bit of flirt pole stuff. Very minor.

Current prey drive estimate is low to low medium.

She does things on her own time, but she was very comfortable and confident at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment